Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Event 1 - "Waste Matters: You are my future" by Kathy High

To go to Kathy's show is my second time to go inside CNSI building. I didn't realize that CNSI is a perfect place for topics like art and technology until I went to Kathy's show and Robert's later. The building itself stands out among all other south campus buildings like Boelter and Charles Young Buildings. It is modern and artistically designed and more importantly, it hosts events with topics related to art and science. When I took the elevator up to the fifth floor, where Kathy's show was held, the elevator accidentally stopped for a while, as if it had traveled to another parallel space. 
Living objects in the shape of intestine and broccoli 
And it did, as I entered the room of Kathy's show, I thought I was in another parallel world. I was shocked because of not only the elevator, but also her show. I wasn't aware of what I was observing until the voice in the video that was playing in the room told me that it was people's waste. For a minute, I was not comfortable. I didn't expect to see such a dauntless art by preserving people's waste and put them on show.

Well-Preserved wastes
"Waste Matters: You are my future" is an art show to explore how waste produced by ourselves can be used efficiently. Pictures of intestine immersed with ecosystems and people were hanged on the wall and a video talking about rePOOPulate were played in the television. Suddenly, I realized that this art show was a bridge connecting ecologists, scientists, doctors and artists. By looking into human bodies and studying ecologies within the human bodies, ecologists start to explore new fields of medicine. From the video, I also learned that how bacteria functioned in our bodies. Furthermore, by researching into human body biomes, scientists can have a better understanding how we can live in different ecosystems with different bacteria, fungi and yeast.

Picture metaphor of new possibilities in ecosystems.

RePOOPulate video playing in the television.

In the end, I realized that this exhibition was a perfect connection of art and science. It was untraditional and broke new grounds. This is why art is important to science. It gives dauntless imagination and endless possibilities.

Me with Kathy's portrait



No comments:

Post a Comment